History

History of Helen's Bay Golf Club

Helen’s Bay Golf Club was established in 1896 by a group of businessmen who met regularly in Belfast. In choosing the location for the Course they sought land of outstanding beauty and terrain that was within strolling distance of a station on the Belfast to Bangor railway line. Only a handful of houses existed in Helen’s Bay at that time and so competitions were often timed to begin ten minutes after the arrival of trains from Belfast.
From the very beginning Helen’s Bay has been a Club of men and women co-existing happily; the first Captains in 1896 were husband and wife Herbert and Kathleen Brown. The lay out of the 9 hole course today remains much as the same as it has been throughout its existence. The original Clubhouse was a quaint old estate cottage provided by our landlord the Clandeboye Estate, and to this various make-shift extensions were added during the first half of the last century. It was eventually replaced in 1970 with a modern Clubhouse, and this in turn was further modernised and extended in 1995 ahead of the Club’s centenary in 1996.

A detailed history entitled “Helen’s Bay Golf Club – The First Hundred Years” is available in the Club Foyer.
The famous Helen's Tower
Course Status
Currently open
14.10.2018 08:19
View Status
Course is Open
Weather
  • 2018-10-21
  • 2018-10-22
  • 2018-10-23
  • 2018-10-24
  • 2018-10-25
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
News
  • Christmas Day 2018
    newsthumbnail
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book?

Our booking system will make it easy for you.